Exent overcame challenges in the first national SaaS+ deployment, rapid implementation, and legacy systems integration to successfully implement a cloud-based finance application. The partnership delivered the agreed scope, transformed client operations, and enhanced collaboration.
The client is a large and influential Australian Union who play a pivotal role in representing worker interests within the healthcare sector.
Our client’s project was a significant undertaking involving the implementation of a new cloud-based finance application (TechnologyOne’s OneBase) and the complete migration of detailed historical finance data spanning eight years. It also included the automation of external transactions and invoice scanning capability. The challenge was to define clear, measurable, and achievable project objectives while aligning with overarching goals.
Australia’s First TechOne SaaS+ Implementation
More significantly, this implementation was the first done nationally for TechOne’s SaaS+ approach – an innovative bundling of license and implementation into a single structure to accelerate and assure client delivery. This approach drove some unique needs in scoping, planning and delivery, and in managing change. Exent has developed unique intellectual property around the SaaS+ method including a comprehensive wrapper project framework, templates, tools and accelerators.
Exent worked closely with the client and encountered several challenges:
- First-Of-Its-Kind Deployment: Successfully balancing alignment risk during the first national deployment of SaaS+ approach, while partnering and collaborating with TechnologyOne and the client as one team, presented a significant opportunity but also potential risk if not done well. Navigating this critical first step was essential to achieve a successful outcome.
- Rapid Deployment Challenge: Striking a balance between operational and project resources to ensure adherence to critical milestones, deploying the cloud-based finance application, and migrating historical data within the agreed timeframe and budget.
- Legacy Systems Integration Challenge: Driving strong integration to support detailed extensive data migration required a seamless database integration between the legacy asset management system and the new TechOne OneBase SaaS product to ensure the accurate and timely transfer of historical financial metadata – a unique approach to real-time data delivery.
- Team Alignment Challenge: Effectively managing multi-disciplinary teams and diverse stakeholder interests, ensuring a cohesive project team where everyone understands their roles and responsibilities and collaborates efficiently.
- Technology Interoperability Challenge: Seamlessly integrating new technologies without disrupting existing operations, ensuring the new cloud-based finance application cohesively functions with existing systems to enhance overall operational efficiency.
- Effective Communication Challenge: Establishing and maintaining clear, timely information flow among all project stakeholders and throughout the organisation, implementing a strong communication strategy to keep stakeholders informed, engaged, and aware of project progress, changes, and challenges.
These challenges represent known challenges within any ERP, but also the additional complexities of a novel SaaS+ approach and the extra hurdles in Finance migration required complete fidelity in data and configuration.
Navigating these objectives was critical effectively to achieving project outcomes and client value.